American Technical Publishers is looking for copy editor for writing the news, formatting it and then presenting it properly so that it can be printed on the newspaper. This falls under desk department. Once the reporter has written the content, the editor has to check it properly and see that the text is accurate.
It is the final step in the editorial cycle. The person has to proof read the copy properly so that it can be published properly.
Job Description of Copy Editor
The job of the copy editor includes
- Checking text thoroughly so that its accurate and well written.
- Have to use apt grammar and spelling.
- Go through the facts.
- Page make up has to be done properly.
- They also write the headlines and the main introducing paragraph of the report.
His duties include
- He has to work with the editorial assistant.
- He has to edit the articles and then format it properly.
- Use apt spelling and grammar.
- Suggest the editorial department about article topics.
- Proof read the content.
- Check that the content is in the publisher’s “house style”. Learn about apt usage of punctuation.
- Checking facts that are mentioned in the news.
- Also, he must have knowledge about the legal terms and copyright laws.
- Check the captions properly.
Skills of copy editor
- The copy editor should be excellent in writing English.
- Must have a meticulous approach towards his work.
- Must be able to work in deadline.
- Produce best quality work within the time.
- Ability to focus and concentration power is needed in the editor.
Qualification of the copy editor
- A Master Degree in English literature is needed.
- A Bachelor’s Degree is essential. But students who have studied Journalism or Mass communication, gets an edge in the field.
- The person must have excellent knowledge of grammar and spelling.
- Basic computer knowledge is essential.
- Those working for newspaper or print publication must have knowledge on printing software.
- Those working for online edition should have basic knowledge about HTML and layout designing.
Any publication, like newspaper, magazine or books, survives on accurate content. It is the duty of the copy editor to make sure, which content will be published, and it should be free from any error.